I LOVE cooking and I’d like to believe that I am a good cook. I can make a meal out of nothing and I can present some impressive snacks for friends coming over unexpected late at night for beers or wine and some chatting. It’s not just that I m good, I enjoy it!!! But when it comes to desserts things change. I don’t like the stiffness of sweet recipes, all the measurements and special tools and details, it’s not my style. I like creating things not just reproducing them. I like mixing flavors, adding textures, in other words…kitchen is a playground for me not a place to follow rules.
As a good hostess I had to find a solution to this as I could never host the perfect dinner party without presenting a dessert of my own. Good news is that scrappy pastry exists and people like me can enjoy the procedure of making a perfectly decent dessert for dinner parties or a brunch with friends. This apple-pie recipe is one of my favorite easy – scrappy recipes for two reasons, 1. everybody loves apple-pie and 2. it’s a great way to use the apples from that fruit basket that don’t look so good any more for eating. – I hate wasting things like food or energy. Recycling is good but we must learn to use wisely our resources before it becomes a waste to recycle….but that’s another story so back to our recipe.-
Here’s what you’ll need……
Ingredients for the crumbled dough
- 4 cups of self raising flour
- pinch of salt
- 250gr/half pound(1/2) butter (normal size stick of butter in room temp.)
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 2 eggs
Ingredients for the apple filling
- 4-5 big apples (any kind you like, mixed is better)
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar (you can add some more if you like)
- 1 tea spoon of grounded cinnamon
- 1 organic lemon zest and juice
- 1 shot of brandy
- Mix flour with salt and in other bowl mix sugar and butter just using a pastry spoon.
- Μαke a hole on your flour and add the 2 eggs and the butter-sugar mix and work with hands until you create a dough – don’t overwork your dough as you don’t want butter to melt out of it.
- Cover dough in cling film and let it rest in your freezer for 20 minutes
- Shred you apples and place in a bowl with all the other ingredients (lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon and brandy) mix them and let them rest.
- Take your dough out of the freezer and cut it two pieces (one a bit bigger than the other). Butter the surface of a baking tray and crumble on it the bigger piece of dough. With your hands pressing gently spread it evenly in your baking tray to create your base.
- Add the apple filling and spread evenly
- Crumble or shred the rest of the dough on top of the filling making sure it covers all surface.
- Bake in preheated oven in 175C/350F for 45 to 50 minutes.
I love this recipe, it always comes out delicious with very basic ingredients and using nothing but a bowl to mix and a baking tray to bake. No mixers no weird measuring no fancy tools. You can accompany this tart-like apple pie with some ice-cream (vanilla preferably) or just by sprinkling some sugar and cinnamon on top.
Now that I think of it there are many more reasons why I love this recipe. It’s not just easy and delicious, it’s also a healthy choice for dessert and it doesn’t cost you much. With the minimum effort you serve 12 portions of a descent homemade dessert which also happens to be one of the most popular in the world
Give it a try and I hope you enjoy it as much as we do 😉